This is the Airfix 1/72 F6 kit from a few years back, I built the F2A when it first came out (http://blog.cjhm.net/172-airfix-lightning-f2a) and have now got around to this version as well.
I don’t remember having problems with the earlier kit but this one fought me all the way; fit around the nose in particular was very poor; you can see pictures of my troubles on the WIP link here: https://twitter.com/search?q=cjhm%20airfix%20lightning
I used the kit markings for XR728 which is preserved at Bruntingthorpe (http://www.lightnings.org.uk/). Dark\Medium Sea Grey are Tamiya with Lifecolor Barley Grey, all airbushed using my Iwata Neo. I glossed with Tamiya X22 before the decals then finished with MiG satin varnish which is very thin and pooled in places on the wings so could have turned out better.
Details are painted with Lifecolor, Citadel and Vallejo, the nose surround is bare metal foil.


I picked this up for a good price on eBay last summer; it’s the 1980s 1/24 Esci kit boxed by Ertl in 1990. The kit is relatively basic but goes together well just needing a bit of filler in some small sink marks.
It’s the Porsche 935/77 as raced by Jacky Ickx in 1977 featuring the iconic Martini livery.
Main paint is all by airbrush – Tamiya X18 for the chassis\interior, X2 over XF2 undercoat for the bodywork and Vallejo Model Air florescent red on the front splitter. When dry the body was smoothed ready for decals using Novus polishing kit (as used by pinball machine restorers!) following the great advice to be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234956647-matts-tips-for-painting-cars/
Decals went on OK considering the age of the kit, bit fragile in places. The decal instructions didn’t always match the numbers on the sheet or what is on the box art. Pictures of the real car on the internet in period show different sponsor decal positions from race to race so final layout is my best effort at a representative scheme; this left me missing the ‘Martini Porsche’ wording across the front; I printed one on some decal paper I had lying around. With the benefit of hindsight I could have used the rear wing wording on the front as I found a picture of the car with only the Martini logo on the wing at a particular race.
After decalling, 2 coats of Tamyia gloss varnish X22 were airbrushed on to seal everything down. Window surrounds are done with permanent marker.
The Porsche 917 in some of the pictures is the Fujimi kit I finished last year; more of that build here: http://blog.cjhm.net/124-fujimi-porsche-917k-1971-1000km-monza